Monday, February 18, 2013

Cauli-Flour




A coupe of months ago I broke my iPhone, and have since reverted to using my old LG flip phone. Did you know that it doesn't know the word cauliflower? I find this rather irritating, because I like cauliflower a lot and when I get excited about something I want to tell my friends, so when I was trying to tell people about this one, every time I tried to spell cauliflower I was greeted with a phone that refused to type and obnoxious beeps. Sounds awesome right?

I've had this idea in my in my mind for quite months it seems - but I didn't have a dehydrator so when I got my Excalibur for Christmas - I knew what I'd be doing. I love the results I have gotten so far with cooking with my cauli-flour. Be forewarned though - one large head only yields about 1/2 of cauli-flour. On the upside of that - you'll be getting a whack-load of nutrients in a small amount of flour. I'm still trying to decide if its worth it, but it is so simple to make that I honestly think - why not?

The First thing you'll need to do in order to make this unique flour is go to the store, and grab yourself a couple of the largest cauliflowers you can find. Then you'll want to chop it up into small, 1/4 inch thick pieces. Cauliflower is a bit finicky so if they are really more small florets that's okay too. Stick them into your dehydrator on 125* for about 8 hours - or until dry. If you don't have a dehydrator, simply put your oven on its lowest setting until the pieces are completely dried out.


When they are done, they should look like this. I think it's quite beautiful. Next you'll want to place it in either a food processor or  a blender - blend until fine and powdery.



And that's it! Word to the wise though: Make sure that you allow the cauli-flour to settle before you open the blender - it creates a dust that comes up into the air like crazy!

I will be sharing some recipes I make with this over the next few days! It will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment